Twin Centrifugals VS Single

Eric Fahlgren efahl at adams.com
Wed Apr 18 12:11:16 GMT 2001

Walter Sherwin wrote:

> Yes, unfortunately the response of a belt driven centrifugal unit is
> proportional to the square of the impeller tip speed, together with a few
> other minor influences.  It would be ideal to either: 1) vary the belt drive
> ratio with respect to the crank speed [ala turbo's], or  2) oversize the
> unit, within the impeller speed confines, and then dump the unwanted
> manifold boost/flow via an intelligent dump valve controller [assuming a
> blow-thru fuel configuration].

My brother and I were just discussing this last week.  How about
a hybrid of these two approaches?  Put a variable pulley on one
end, with an tensioning idler to vary the ratio.  Use a controller
to move the idler, deriving its control inputs from load, impeller
RPM and boost.  The best of all worlds, low-end torque, high boost,
high efficiency and a safety device.  Let me know when someone gets
it running! :)

--
Eric Fahlgren                            Mechanical Dynamics, Inc
efahl at adams.com                          Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA