Aftercooler Gains

BamaInstrument BamaInstrument at email.msn.com
Fri Apr 20 04:09:26 GMT 2001

I do agree that LPG would be wonderful, despite the heavy storage vessel
necessary.  It would allow me to have a 12:1 engine, XXXcharger and so
forth.  But it isn't readily available for cross country trips.  I'm really
looking for a CAR (not truck) that will pull my boat at 80 mph up hills and
that sort of thing.  I have a Grand National (84) and it really can leap
buildings with a single bound (except the transmission)  It is bone stock
and will stay that way. (Except that I may add an intercooler.)  It is this
car that has sent me off in this direction.

I have a '69 Camaro which was selected because it has factory air (So how
many were there of those).  I am from Alabama where the heat gets
oppressive, especially setting at a red light.

So I want a vehicle that is reasonably efficient but that can give huge
amounts of power on demand.  Specifically, I'm thinking small block Chevy,
probably turbo charger sized to start bypassing at 3K RPM.  Electronic fuel
control.  Electronic ignition.

I don't tend to think along the normal lines.  For example, I don't like
high volume oil pumps.  They tend to be a parasitic loss to the engine,
heating and putting air in the oil.  If I were building a race engine with a
loose crank bearings and rod bearings the extra volume would be needed.  Not
for a street machine.

I don't like the current crop of belt drive centrifugal blowers because the
torque comes in a very small band of RPM at the upper bound of engine
operation.  I'd like to have a broader range of operation.  I have been
thinking of some type of planetary drive but to get small ratios (such as
1.2:1) in a planetary drive is a lot of teeth.

I have no use for variable ratio belt drives for the centrifugal
supercharger.  I do realize that there have been some successful designs (I
believe that the blown Studebakers of the '50's used that type of drive but
am not sure.  I've never seen one just read about them.)

The oil drive that is being used on some 'turbochargers' occurred to me some
years ago.  I fancied changing the oil volume available to the 'turbo' to
keep the centrifugal supercharger at optimum speed.

So, is there any other folks that are interested in tubo/super chargers
without desiring to race?

dh