O2 / Lambda Sensor Data

Eric Fahlgren efahl at adams.com
Wed Apr 25 15:40:05 GMT 2001

Mike Blakey wrote:

> I'm planning to use a universal 1-wire sensor. But I can not find any technical
> data on them.

They are the same basic narrow-band EGO sensor that is
in three- and four-wire sensors.  The difference is a heater
element that allows the sensor to work sooner, thus allowing
you (an engine tuner) to go to closed loop operation sooner
thereby reducing emissions.

> 2.  If the output voltage is self generating (albeit at high impedance) what
> voltage corresponds to what oxygen level?

Non-stoichiometric voltage readings depend completely on the temperature
of the sensor and the particular device, so you can't say "0.623 v is
13.2:1 AFR."  See http://www.autospeed.com/A_0618/P_1/article.html
for a good overview.

> 3.  what is the correlation to oxygen level and mixture ratio?

0.5 v is ostensibly stoich, other than that nothing can be said.

> I have already built the circuit but have yet to buy a sensor, any recommendations
> would also be appreciated.

Buy the cheapest one you can find. :)

--
Eric Fahlgren                            Mechanical Dynamics, Inc
efahl at adams.com                          Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA