K-Jet /PIC hybrid

Orin orin
Thu Apr 26 17:48:00 GMT 2001

> pat ford tapped away at the keyboard with:
>
> > are they cis based?? maybe a different dampening system or the
> > palte working against a spring instead of gravity....  I took a
>
> Definitely K- and KE-Jetronic. From about 1980 to 1991.
>
> Don't know about what sort of springs, etc. The problem is one of
> inertia - specifically that of the plate and the lever. Putting a
> stiffer spring in the system would probably only exascerbate the
> massive turbo-lag.

There are no springs.  The plate is pushed 'down' by fuel pressure
and up by air flow.

My guess would be that the plate would be as high as it goes most of
the time at the Audi Q power levels and fuel would be controlled
by the pressure difference across the metering slit, not the size
of the slit - ie by the 'lambda' frequency valve (which incidently
is used in the UK quattros which _don't_ feature an O2 sensor).

Note that K-lambda was used in Audi 5-cyl turbo engines up to
1991 models at least (Canada and non-quattro US that I know of).

Orin.