Gas price control

Eric Bryant BRYANTE at ghsp.com
Mon Apr 30 16:41:32 GMT 2001

> From: Morten T Nielsen [mailto:morten-n at gmx.de]
> Subject: Re: Gas price control
>

> Hi
>
> Must be a different story to program an engine management
> systems for a engine running on hydrogen ;-) Must be like
> starting all over...

I don't think that tuning is necessarly the biggest hurdle.  Trying to
package a high-pressure fuel system in a vehicle is one of them (GM's
probably trying to figure out how to use an off-the-shelf polypro gas tank
with a Walbro in-tank pump:) ).  There's the obvious problems of
infrastructure, too.

BMW had a nice supercharged hydrogen-fuel engine that they were demo'ing
nearly 10 years ago.  The biggest problem with that car was the size of the
fuel tank - it took up a large portion of the trunk on a 5-series.  If
anyone had done any development on it over the last 10 years, though
(instead of spending all their time complying with the latest EPA and CARB
rules), I imagine that you'd end up with a rather workable system.

As I understand it, hydrogen works pretty nice as a fuel - good resistance
to detonation, excellent cold-start capabilities (you don't have to worry
about it puddling in a manifold or intake runner, for sure), and it burns
pretty clean with the exception of NOx emissions (since it burns fairly
hot).

I'm sure that there's people that are worried about its explosiveness, but
gasoline ain't exactly the safest fuel in the world, either.

Eric Bryant
mailto:bryante at ghsp.com
http://www.novagate.com/~bryante