Fuel Atomisation

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Mon Dec 10 05:03:52 GMT 2001

Greg Hermann tapped away at the keyboard with:
> At 10:30 AM 12/10/01, Bernd Felsche wrote:
> >Greg Hermann tapped away at the keyboard with:
> >> The fuel injector could put the fuel into a small "pre-chamber"
> >> over a fairly long pulse width, and then compressed air is quite
> >> capable of putting it into the port in a highly atomized state
> >> quite suddenly.

> >Sounds oddly like an Orbital patent.

> >In that, compressed air is used to _shear_ the fuel droplets to
> >ultra-fine size.

> >I'm not at liberty to say any more.

> You don't need to. Too bad, I hate to spoil your attempt to sound
> like you work for the "agency" !!

If you've every worked in research for a private company, or did
contract work for a research company where you are exposed to
proprietary information and IP, you'd understand.

See http://www.orbeng.com.au/orbital/aboutOrbital/history.htm
for when OEC first started down the fuel-injection line (1978).

You can probably read more in OEC's published papers (download from
their site) than I feel comfortable divulging. Everything published
has been vetted.

I don't wish to add to the public knowledge at this time.

> I have one of the Orbital injectors for a Mercury Marine DFI 200
> outboard sitting within reach here.
>
> Really, though, it's just too easy to do the same thing with
> standard parts and some lathe made bits !

Of course they're easy to make. That's one of the hallmarks of good
engineering. Another hallmark is that it really works as described.

I can tell you in 4 years how they were "developed".

> As I recall, Orbital's stuff and patents are intended for use with
> DIRECT--not port -- injection.

Not necessarily. There are a number of variants that can be applied
to port injection as well.

OCP DI is of course their flagship engine technology; along with
integral spark.

> Different art, as an outhouse lawyer would say.
>
> Besides which--patents don't restrict private, not for profit use
> of ANY art !!!

Heaven forbid. I wasn't saying anything like "don't do it because
you might be infringing on a Patent". I was pointing out that it
looked like a particular invention.

You can also refer to the patented inventions of others to develop
your own inventions and then patent the result; if your invention is
sufficiently novel and a sufficient development of the original
patent.