Sensor Question

Bob - Uni rcs07 at uow.edu.au
Mon Dec 10 05:27:05 GMT 2001

Hello Greg,

One of my main reasons for using the distributor was ease of
installation, as at the moment I dont really have anywhere where I can
go accessing flywheels etc. What about off the front of the cam? The
car is a 240/260z (depending on if I can get a 240 at a reasonable
price). Would that be more accurate than from the distributor drive?

GH> At 10:12 AM 12/10/01, Bob - Uni wrote:
>>Hello Greg,
>>
>>GH> I didn't see crank angle on your list.
>>I was going to use the cam angle for that (actually, I was going to
>>rip the guts out of a distributor, whack in a chopper wheel and use
>>an opto setup)

GH> Hard to get much timing accuracy that way, 60 -2 tooth wheels for crank
GH> position seem to be the approach of choice lately.

GH> Seems to me that, other than the existence of canned code for 60-2 wheels,
GH> that ring gear teeth ought to be able to do pretty well, acting in concert
GH> with two, three,  four, or six crank position sensors (depending on how
GH> many pots you are dealing with), and a cam position sensor. But, of course,
GH> this means three Hall effect sensor inputs. Doing all of the crank position
GH> work off of the flywheel pretty much eliminates torsion vibrations, and
GH> gear and/or timing chain lash as a source of error.

GH> Greg

GH> Believes in DIY to do _better_ --not necessarily to mimic the factory for
GH> less! :-)
>>

>> Bob                            mailto:rcs07 at uow.edu.au

Best regards,
 Bob                            mailto:rcs07 at uow.edu.au