turbo SBC's... was RE: Thanks for the EFI! (off topic)

elcamino73 elcamino73 at mindspring.com
Wed Dec 12 19:52:08 GMT 2001

> > I'd be interested in what you are doing with your engine. Any details?

> So far the plan is to build a bulletproof 350ish engine. It'll be from
> either a Dart or Bowtie block, 6.125" rods, 3.48 stroke ex-NASCAR crank
> possibly (or Cola or Callies, some sub $1k crank), 4.000 bore, heads with
> around 210cc intake runners (AFR, Canfield, Victor Jr's), 8.5:1
compression
> and cam specs based partially on the current engines backpressure vs boost
> characteristics (measured when I strap this tired mule to the dyno - will
be
> fairly mild with duration), and some custom JE/Venolia/KB pistons.

Building a 380 with 400 block 3.50 inch eagle crank and 5.85 eagle rods JE
d-dish (-32cc) pistons
Already using AFR 195cc heads. And they are still the best flowing heads 2
years after I purchased them
Same compression on mine.

> My reasoning is to make a reliable, build it once road racing/street fun
> engine. I still am considering a 377, but I like the detonation resistance
> smaller bore gives you. The question of the hour is whether I'll make more
> power unshrouding the valves with the larger bore and less boost. I'm
> planning on going to about .035 quench,

Exactly what I'm doing.

 but some folks more experienced than
> I claim that a quench that tight really disturbs the flame front travel at
> TDC.

I don't think the quench area is supposted to support combustion.

 To knock down compression, I plan on mirroring the combustion chamber
> shape in the piston, since this should give you the fastest burn time.
Some
> words of wisdom from the previously mentioned turbo folks suggest going
with
> a plain 'ole open bowl piston, Not me ever!

but again I'm having a hard time convincing
> myself that that's the way to go, when the collective theory based
knowledge
> usually says to go with a tight quench and small dish.

I believe the more volume in the piston and the smaller the chamber the
better off you are.
Look at KB's site for more info on that.

Using  ATI D-1 supercharger 1000 hp 3core sheet metal intercooler With
WATERINJECTION
Thanks Bruce!

Probably switching from ACCEL DFI to FAST bank to bank wide band O2 control.
 Hydrualic roller cam 224/236 duration. ACCEl manifold with cast in bungs