Operating temp Question

Shannen Durphey shannen at grolen.com
Sat Dec 15 05:41:14 GMT 2001

Kevin Grover wrote:

> Most of the gauges in the newer cars aren't linear.  I recall reading an
> article about the corvette in particular where a customer complained that it
> was overheating because the gauge got into the upper range.  The scan tool
> said that the temp was only like 200 where the gauge was closer to 260.
> They move faster in the middle.  That mark might really be 200 or 205.

Dunno about the latest generation 'Vette, but later c4's had a sticker on the
instrument cluster saying that the analogue gauges are not accurate.  Many of
the c4's came with a digital display for temp.  This reading was to be used
rather than the analogue reading.

Bob Wooten wrote:
> I cant imagine that this is all these
> fans can pull, so I am guessing that it has a DAC or something that it
> outputs to the fans to control how much air they pull. am I way off base
> or what?

Fan speed is usually varied by applying system voltage through PWM rather
varying applied voltage through analogue methods.  It's kinda like trying to
make a single speed hand drill turn at slower speeds by repeatedly pulling and
releasing the trigger.
Shannen