Heat Sinks for WB was RE: WBO2 testing

bcroe at juno.com bcroe at juno.com
Thu Dec 20 02:24:50 GMT 2001

That heat sink might need to dissipate up to 5 watts
in normal operation.  However, that can be much
higher during warmup.  Thats OK for half a minute,
but if you overload it with a huge lamp it could be
tripple power continuously.

The T906 lamp mentioned by Richard sounds like a
perfect test load.  It is large enough to test the current
ramp up, but small enough to easily go to voltage
(about 10.4V) regulation.  Since it is about 1/2 the load
of the sensor heater, running a T906 for a while should
give you an idea if your heat sink is too small without
immediate overheating.

Once the circuit is working well, I would expect a 3 X 5
sheet of aluminum to do the job; the cover of a project
box.  But very thin (.025") metal will localize the heat; I
would replace a thin cover with at least a .062" piece,
1/8" is pretty good.  A few low profile fins can help too.
Remember the regulator is electrically hot, so you must
use mica washers & grease (or your favorite version) to
insulate the regulator.  This keeps exposed heat sinks
from blowing fuses & circuits.

Everybody is using a 5 amp fuse, right?  3 would be OK.

Another approach (I used) was about a 2" X 3" heavy
finned heat sink mounted INSIDE, but with plenty of
air slots (see my pictures).  The regulator then can be
mounted without insulation, it runs cooler.

The resistor will not need much, except a bit of air flow.
A ceramic resistor will tolerate pretty high temperatures,
but could damage parts very close to it.

Running a fan works, but is a lot of complication over a
hunk of metal.

Bruce Roe