[EFI] RE: PWM an electromagnetic (A/C) clutch?

Daniel Houlton houlster at user1.inficad.com
Thu Dec 20 03:24:22 GMT 2001

Bob Wooten wrote:

> I would think it to be much simpler to have two proms, one for fun & one for
> the kid @ the Valet.

There's several problems with two proms.  First, I don't have
one, 2nd, there's nothing I can do with my ECM either.  It's
made by Hitachi.

Biggest thing though, is that no prom will change the boost from
a supercharger.  It's controlled by the pulley ratio.  But, if
you could PWM a clutch on the SC pulley, you could contol slip
to get, in effect, different ratios and lower boost.  I'm not
trying to get a valet mode here.  I'm trying to see if I can
lower boost on demand without changing pulleys.

What I'm wondering is if anyone has any idea how the clutch
would react.  PWM'ing it would be kinda like controlled slip
in the clutch.  Just wondering if it would last very long, or
if the coil would burn out or what.  I thought maybe somebody's
tried something similar before.

--Dan
houlster at inficad.com