Datalogging RPM signal

Peter Gargano peter at techedge.com.au
Mon Dec 24 02:01:24 GMT 2001

"Tomas J. Sokorai Sch." wrote:

Sounds like a great project Tom.

> My program is in it's very beggining stages, anyone wants to participate in
> such project?.

I'd suggest you provide an option where you can read a nice RPM
signal via the games port (my generation of PCs still has the DB15).

Most, if not all EFI vehicles, provide a square wave signal somewhere
(that may need to be divided down in software). That nice signal should
be easily read by a multitude of inputs, including a games port, a
parallel port, a modem status line on a serial port, or, as a last
resort, the kludge where the sound card is used.

Contact me directly mailto:peter at techedge.com.au for any code fragments
you may want for this project, or any help with a simple/low-cost hardware
interface/buffer for any of these inputs. Sound card - yuk! (and I do
appreciate that the sound card approach does work, but it's still a
kludge, and mostly unnecessary).

Peter.