MAFs

James Montebello jamesm at lapuwali.com
Mon Feb 5 23:00:39 GMT 2001

No seal is perfect, particularly a seal around a shaft rotating at
six-digit speeds.  But that wasn't my main point.

I also never meant to suggest you weren't "doing this", only that the
idea had never occurred to me, and surprised me.

I was wondering aloud what the advantages would be over a draw-through
MAF, or a speed/density system.  The disadvantage appears to be potential
contamination of the MAF itself.  I fail to see the advantages, beyond
a bit more simplicity.  Simplicity can be a complete reason in itself,
as well as pragmatic reasons that doing so allows you to assemble parts
you already have into a working system.  Just wondering if there are
any other reasons.

And by "fragile", I hardly meant mechanical strength, nor was I referring
to any particular MAF sensor.  Most MAF sensors will not put up with
anywhere near as much abuse as a solid-state MAP sensor.  If the late GM
sensors do, then I'd say that's a welcome advance.

james montebello