Coil Driver

Rob Weinstock weinstro at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 6 08:10:01 GMT 2001

>I was just looking @ the information from the FTP site called "combo
>driver"  in it there is a coil driver that is a Harris piece (the part
>number is 14N40FVL).  I was wondering if anyone has used this driver for
>any projects & how well it worked.  It appears from the spec sheet (& the
>print that Dave Rhoads made up) that this is a pretty straight forward
>device.  power to the coil, coil to collector & collector to ground.  when
>you trigger the gate off she goes.

That device is a MOSFET power switching transistor. Unlike standard bipolar
junction transistors (emitter/base/collector), this device is a field effect
transistor (drain/gate/source). It requires a positive voltage to turn it
on.

It is not a driver by itself, at least not like the CS452/CS453 or LM1949
driver chips which actively monitor and control current to the fuel
injector. The CS45X will drive a fuel injector coil by itself. The LM1939
driver is designed to drive a Darlington transistor, but could be made to
work with a MOSFET with a little extra effort.

Think of the above transistor as a power switch for the fuel injector coil.

Regards,

Rob