MAFs

Matt Henson hensonator at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 7 18:15:14 GMT 2001

Hi Rod,
Thanks for the information.  I used to have a 951
also.  The pipe length between the MAF and the turbo
is pretty short - like 1 foot, right?  I guess it
takes more pipe length to have a laminer flow back at
the MAF.  Have you considered adding any air
straightening devices to your pipe?  Maybe some fins
or something?  I would suspect that your problem is
solvable without changing the basic architecture of
your system.

Certainly a blow through MAF would have major
advantages.  But, if it can't get at least 50k
reliability then it's not for me.

I think that in cases like this it's best to borrow
what the OEMs have done.  I always ask myself "What
would Porsche do?"  In this case, on their MAF-based
systems, they put it before the turbo.  Does any OEM
use blow through?

Regards,
Matt