Transistor Ignition question

lance lmwolrab at prodigy.net
Thu Feb 8 10:54:12 GMT 2001

Is the ignitor box made by Hitachi?  I have a great deal of practical
experience with replacing the drivers in a 1984 FJ1100 Yamaha to use coils
with a lower primary resistance (needed more spark after compression boost).
Way back in 1985, I used an RCA SK series device in a TO220 package with a
300v rating (you need it for back EMF).  It was quite reliable, and this
bike was my daily transportation, so it saw duty rain or shine both in
California and overseas without issues.  Also it appears that the IGBT is
ideal in an ignition application and would be what I would use now.

Lance

P.S.  I agree that Japanese motorcycles have the some of the worst
electronic devices in the motoring world.  Motorcycles also have incredibly
short warranty periods compared to cars...