EFI control

Eric Bryant BRYANTE at ghsp.com
Thu Feb 8 14:18:54 GMT 2001

> From: James Montebello [mailto:jamesm at lapuwali.com]
> Subject: RE: EFI control
>
> So, since this all started with the SDS system, I looked, and couldn't
> find anything on their site about defined temperature or
> humidity ranges.
> Nothing on vibration or shock.  Nothing about using it in a
> daily driver.
> Indeed, they specifically mention that you have to be careful about
> using it in any street application.  They're targeting the low-end
> racing market.

Cool.  So, as long as I'm using this ECU on the bench in my air-conditioned
shop, then I should be OK.  No temp or humidity ranges?  I only run my cars
on 68 F days with 20% humidity or less.  Nothing on vibration or shock?
That's ok - race cars don't vibrate, do they?

I think I might have screwed up with one of my earlier comments, since I
might have implied that relibility isn't a big deal for an "off-road" (read:
race) application.

> A quick check of Electromotive's site came up with the same result.

Add a second company to my list of ones to avoid.

> If you took your current attitude and started an aftermarket
> company to
> produce EFI equipment, you'd quickly find yourself out of business.
> Give these people a break.

You seem to imply that I want 24K gold on all the connections, a
chrome-plated CNC'd aluminum housing, and personal tech support by two
Playmates.

What I'm really looking for is an understanding of the automotive
environment, evidence of proper design procedures, thorough validation of
the product, and then some competent manufacturing.  The first one is
mandatory for anyone who wants to build and sell components for automotive
use, and I think it's the easiest one to overlook.  It's fatal, since you
can't design anything without understanding the intended use.  I don't think
I need to state the importantance of the design process.  Validation is easy
to skip, since it's expensive and you can easily fall into the trap of
overreliance on your design process.  Manufacturing is a total bitch at low
volumes, since you're looking at huge volumes (relatively) before you can
even think about contracting a EMS provider.

So, I hope it's clear that I understand the difficulties that the "little
guys" face.  I don't think it's any excuse, though.  And as far as finding
myself out of business - well, MoTeC seems to be doing rather well for
themselves.

Eric Bryant
mailto:bryante at ghsp.com
http://www.novagate.com/~bryante