EFI control

James Montebello jamesm at lapuwali.com
Thu Feb 8 18:57:33 GMT 2001

On Thu, 8 Feb 2001, Eric Bryant wrote:
> What I'm really looking for is an understanding of the automotive
> environment, evidence of proper design procedures, thorough validation of
> the product, and then some competent manufacturing.  The first one is
> mandatory for anyone who wants to build and sell components for automotive
> use, and I think it's the easiest one to overlook.  It's fatal, since you
> can't design anything without understanding the intended use.  I don't think
> I need to state the importantance of the design process.  Validation is easy
> to skip, since it's expensive and you can easily fall into the trap of
> overreliance on your design process.  Manufacturing is a total bitch at low
> volumes, since you're looking at huge volumes (relatively) before you can
> even think about contracting a EMS provider.
>
> So, I hope it's clear that I understand the difficulties that the "little
> guys" face.  I don't think it's any excuse, though.  And as far as finding
> myself out of business - well, MoTeC seems to be doing rather well for
> themselves.

MoTec also charges 3-4x what SDS, Electromotive, Wolf, Haltec,
etc. charge.  Their market is for high-end systems, like well-funded
racing teams or CEOs who like to get their hands dirty.  I don't know
too many individuals who are willing or able to pay $4000 for an ECU,
then another $1000-2000 for harnesses, sensors, etc.  Obviously, since
MoTec and Pi Systems are solvent, there's a sufficient market for them
at the high end.  They're the Ferrari of the ECU market.

I don't own a Ferrari.  Do you?

My main point is I think you're giving the low-end manufacturers
short shrift.  They very well understand the harsh environment they're
working in.  Not only do they have to worry about EMI, but lawyers,
angry customers, regulators, and the tax man.  You're only concerning
yourself with the first item on that list.  Working for a large
company, you have that luxury.  They have to worry about the whole list.
They have to produce a product that is "good enough" or they won't sell.
Anything better than good enough costs extra money, and since they can't
charge any more for their products than their competitors, they have to
eat those costs.  Money out of their pockets.

I happen to know personally the proprietor of the company that sells the
Wolf system.  It sells for about $800US.  He's not making a lot of money.
He's perfectly happy doing this, since it's what he loves, and he's
never had any money (former academic).  His stuff works well enough
that he has a number of satisfied customers, many of whom drive cars
using his products across the Australian deserts (Wolf is in Melbourne).
There are others who use his products in wet New England.  Seems to be
good enough for them, in drastically different environments, in the
real world.

So, really, even though you don't realize it, you really are asking
for 24K gold-plated connectors, and tech support by the Playmate of the
Month, or, rather, for things that end up being about as useful in the
real world.  I think you're falling into the common trap of deciding
that only the very best is good enough.  There's nothing particularly
wrong with that attitude.  That's the attitude they take at Rolls-Royce,
and Ferrari, and in most aerospace applications.  When you have the
money to spend, spend it on quality.  Absolutely the right thing to do.
But there is a level of quality beyond which the cost exceeds the benefit.
The high-end guys, like Motec, are higher up on that curve.  The low-end
guys, like Wolf, live farther down the hill.  You pays your money...

james montebello