EFI control

Shirley, Mark R MarkRShirley at eaton.com
Fri Feb 9 13:24:35 GMT 2001

> My comments

-----Original Message-----
From: James Montebello [mailto:jamesm at lapuwali.com]
Sent: Thursday, February 08, 2001 5:54 PM
To: 'diy_efi at diy-efi.org'
Subject: RE: EFI control

Fine.  Don't buy it.

> I won't.  Never planned on it.

Lots of people do and are perfectly happy with it.
If you're not, then buy something else, or build something else.
Ragging on SDS for building a product that fills a market niche
at a price that people are perfectly willing to pay is unwarranted.

>  Like I said, I am happy that SDS can sell it's product.  It's simply
>  not good enough for me.

If you're so unhappy about it, then I invite you to compete with them,
so you can discover just how badly they're ripping everyone off with
their overpriced, underengineered junk (that's sarcasm, btw).

>  Yeah, I can tell.

As I said before, please build an ECU that meets the quality standards of
a big OEM and sell it for the same price as SDS.  Really.  You'll bankrupt
yourself, but a few lucky people will get a nice new ECU cheap at your
expense before you run out of money.

>  If I were to do that, it would cost more than SDS because it would be
>  Better constructed, with more features.

I'm also an engineer, but I'm not so arrogant as to think that all people
involved in the marketing and sales sides are idiots.  There are plenty
of small business run by an engineer that's also serving as salesman,
accountant, support, etc.  There are plenty of salesmen out there
with engineering degrees.  There are plenty of engineers with MBAs.
There are also plenty of engineers (esp. at big engineering companies)
who haven't a clue about how to survive as a small businessman.