Friendly Emulator /racelogic groupe buy!

Franc Buxton fab at dcs.warwick.ac.uk
Wed Feb 14 11:30:51 GMT 2001

Ludis Langens wrote:

> espen hilde wrote:
> >
> > Hi ! I am forwarding the message I got from Racelogic:
> >
> > As a special offer to DIY-EFI
> > members we will supply the basic 16bit emulator kit at ?995 + VAT +shipping.
>
> steve ravet wrote:
> >
> > 995 is likely to be Great Britain pounds since it's a UK company.  VAT
> > is the UK national sales tax, 17%.  1164 GBP total, or about $1750 in US
> > dollars.  Unless it's pretty whizzy I'd keep looking.
>
> Strange.  The UK's VAT is generally included in the price.  If you go to
> a store, and an item is marked "1 pound", then it will cost you exactly
> 1 pound at the checkout (not 1 pound and some pence.)  If you are a
> foreign tourist and buy an item that you take home, you can get a refund
> of the VAT amount.  At least, this is how things were about five years ago.
>
> So, the emulator price should be 995 pounds - VAT + shipping.

	Quite often, suppliers quote their price to the trade _excluding_ VAT,
as traders can often reclaim the tax anyway.

	I have seen and used the Racelogic emulator. It's OK, but not particularly
user-friendly and it has a tendency to use a different data set from the one
it's
displaying (at least on the software version I have used) when used in 8-bit
mode,
which is in fact what most ECUs I have dealt with need, as even the 16-bit ones
use 8-bit EPROMs. I'm not sure I would pay a grand of my own money for it. The
normal price is (or was) around £1200 (GBP) by the way, but I'm not sure which
side of the VAT that price is...

	Just adding to the knowledge pool!

	Regards,
		Franc.
--
      W------W
    WW---  ---WW     fab at dcs.warwick.ac.uk
   (|     L    |)    fab at StunnedBuffalo.com
      X\____/X       tel.: +44 (0)705 060 4-FAB
       XXXXXX             (+44 (0)705 060 4 322)
        XXXX         http://www.StunnedBuffalo.com