EGOR

Bruce Plecan nacelp at bright.net
Thu Feb 15 06:52:48 GMT 2001

> > What puzzles me is he was very happy to point out that at
> > 14.7:1  (closed loop) his display would show a nice straight
> > line meaning for him his tool was displaying the correct
> > result. I would of thought that if they had gone to the
> > trouble of sampling 21 times per second we should see some
> > oscillation during closed loop.
> Maybe the car wasn't in closed loop...

Nope, the 14.7:1 is an average.  The ecm toggles rich and lean of that to
keep the converter lit.  If you see a straight line in data logging mode the
sensing is useless.   I'm basiing this on GM fueling strategies, and some
others may vary.

> But if a SpeedPro aftermarket engine mangement sytem are installed in the
> car there will be no fluctuations during closed loop. I guess that the
same
> is valid for all cars that are using wide band sensors for lambda sensing.

Depends on dampening off the output.
Reading the average of exhuast is meaningless in some ways,
You want to know the average pulse AFR as it goes past the sensor.    Need
to almost have a fast resetting peak voltage detector,  though as slow as
the human eye is for *reading* a display lots of dampening needs added.
If you want to download the software at chuengineering.com I'll send you
some files that even at slow data logging rates shoe this cycling.   The ecm
is reporting a 14.7 but the O2 v show how it toggles.
Also, if the O2 doesn't cycle from .3 to .6 ish you'll get a code 13 with a
gmecm
IMO, one of the imprtant issues is the response of the WBs.   With a fast
sampling rate DVM you can hardly read the DIY EGOR.  By using a slow one you
can just get to where you can read it.
Bruce