Waste Spark Coils

Jurgen Hartwig jhartwig at midsouth.rr.com
Thu Feb 22 15:43:22 GMT 2001

> On a similar subject, Jurgen said 2nd gen RX7 but I am not Mazda
> literate so i don't know my first Gen from my fourth gen.  on the
subject
> of the RX7 coils, saying that they have that they have the ignitor in
them, does
> that mean that they are fired with a TTL level input?  if so that would
> kill two birds with one stone for me.

Hi, 2nd Gen RX-7s are cars from 86-91.  I believe the earlier cars used a
distributor and later cars used a different style ignition coil.
Remember, though, the leading coil is the only waste spark coil.  The
trailing coil is a dual post coil, but a trigger wire alternately triggers
a single post.

Regarding the input, I really am not sure.  At the risk of sounding really
stupid, what does TTL stand for?  I have seen the acronym, but never knew
it's meaning.

Is there any way I can test for this?

Regarding the GM coils, I thought $20 bought you the coil, and you still
had to buy the igniters.  If I can get GM coils and igniter for less than
$40, then that's a better deal than the RX-7 coils.

Is the GM coil a self-contained unit that can be mounted easily, or is it
part of a module (i.e. need a mounting bracket)?

Jay