Injector sizing

Tlsalt at aol.com Tlsalt at aol.com
Sun Feb 25 18:36:24 GMT 2001

Greg Hermann wrote:

>Pulsewidth is calculated from duty cycle TIMES maximum available cycle
time.

Hello Greg,

    Thanks for your response.  I've never focused on duty cycle, other than
to ensure that the injectors are large enough to avoid going over 85% and
that the pulsewidth at maximum rpm is within the time window.  I've never
seen pulsewidth calculated from duty cycle.  What is this formula ?  The VE
based maximum pulsewidth formula has always worked for me.

>in these numbers, BSFC is assumed to be CONSTANT from 1500 through 4500 rpm.)

I managed to find a BSFC chart for my engine and it relatively flat from
1500-3500 pm (0.44-0.46) but it begins to rise at 3500 and peaks at 0.55 at
5000 rpm (hp peak).  I assume you use the BSFC at the hp peak and 80-85% duty
cycle to size the injectors.

Paul