Honda Direct Fire Coils

Chris Capowski c.capowski at home.com
Sun Feb 25 23:54:24 GMT 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Huw Scourfield" <huw.scourfield at lineone.net>
To: <diy_efi at diy-efi.org>
Sent: Friday, February 23, 2001 5:51 PM
Subject: Re: Honda Direct Fire Coils

> Please don't take this the wrong way Chris, but you're a fool. If you are
> unfortunate enough to have a serious "off" with that car you run the risk
of
> an electrical fire, all it would take is one little short circuit - up she
> goes! Put some fuses in, even 20A fuses will protect most harness wire
from
> melting, yet be unlikely to blow due to surges/ ageing (depends on load of
> course), you can get some pretty robust blade fuse carriers now that are
> pretty much water tight and should be problem free. Think about this
Chris,
> it's your life, but fuses needn't be a problem if you position them well
and
> rate them generously.
>     Huw

That is why race cars have master kill switches, shuting off all power from
the battery.  I've also learned from some of the best race car builders out
there, such as Carroll Smith, who refuses to use a single fuse in any car he
builds.  I am VERY consious of race car safety and go far and beyond any
minimum requirements when building a car.  I would rather use the weight of
all the fuses and associated hardware to lock wire all the suspension/brake
fasteners, use the best lines for fuel/oil, or thicker alluminum around the
fuel cell.  One of the main resons for not using fuses is that even the best
ones can fail in the extreme harshness (heat/vibration/moisture) of the
environment they are in.  They just do not provide enough safety for the
amount of problems they cause.

Chris "Mighty Mouse" Capowski