Profiteers

Jeff Webb mustang at ufl.edu
Mon Feb 26 21:30:17 GMT 2001

Shannen and Steve,

Thanks for taking the time to clarify things.  Your replies seem pretty
reasonable.  Now let me take a moment to explain the motivation for my

I felt the need to respond to Shannen's message for several reasons.
First of all, it seemed misdirected (unless Will has committed some
deeds that I am not aware of).  Will made what I thought was a
reasonable observation, and it was met with a pretty harsh response.  I
assume the tone of the message was directed at profiteers and not at
Will personally.

Secondly, it came across in a very negative fashion.  Obviously, Shannen
was pretty upset about people stealing other people's work (and rightly
so), but the message gave me a very negative impression of the list.  It
came across to me as saying "The people on this list are not interested
in helping anyone unless there is some profit in it for them."  I don't
think this is what Shannen meant, but that's what it sounded like to
me.  I know that this is not the case for many people on this list.  I
didn't want some potential contributors to be "scared off" because they
thought the list was full of self-centered people.  Some people
contribute because they like to share their work and knowledge by
helping others.  I'm not saying that you don't fall into this group,
Shannen, but your message didn't convey that idea.

The final problem I had with the message was that it sounded like
Shannen was speaking for "the list".  I just wanted to say that everyone
didn't share that view.  Maybe MOST people do, I don't know.  From
Shannen's response, it's obvious that this was not the intention.

Anyway, my approach to the list is that give whatever information I can
without EXPECTING to receive anything in return.  I certainly HOPE that
others will return my kindness by GIVING me help when they are able, but
I certainly don't think that there is any DEBT to be paid if they
don't.  If I EXPECT something in return for what I give, I will say so
up front.  I also try to show appreciate and respect for any help or
information given to me.  I will certainly do my best to return the
favor if I can.  If there are some conditions on information given to
me, I also expect to know up front.  That seems like a reasonable
request, does it not?

Anyway, I stand by my suggestion that anyone making a significant
contribution state the conditions for use (e.g. Bruce's "non-commercial
use" DIY-EGOR, GPL license, BSD, etc.)  If you don't state your terms,
then it's hard to argue that the terms were broken.

Sorry about ruffling any feathers, but I wouldn't write this if I didn't
care about what happens to the list.  It seems that cases of people
running away with other people's work is constantly popping up.
Obviously, some people don't have the "common sense" Steve mentioned.
That's why I think you need to state things up front.  If we don't
address this in some way, then contributors will continue to leave the
group.

That's all.  Happy EFIing!

Jeff Webb