CDI systems info wanted

Arnaud Westenberg arnaud at casema.net
Wed Feb 28 19:22:52 GMT 2001

Hi all,

First I'd like to thank Rich M for suggesting the Motorola MGP20N40CL as
a replacement for my broken oem transistor in my motorcycle ignition.
It's running great again!

I'm considering building a CDI ignition system for my bike and therefore
I'd like to ask a few questions. The system will be controlled by a
processor and have a coil per cylinder. Since I'm still in the EE
learning phase, I'm looking for information about how to build the high
voltage circuit used to charge the capacitor.

Instead of charging a capacitor, I'm toying with the idea of having a
high voltage alternating current power supply. Obvious benefit would be
that spark duration could be as long as needed and could simply be
controlled by the processor. However I guess that components would be
quite large due to the power requirements. Are there any standard
components/circuitry to realize such a power supply from 12V?

Thanks,

Greetings Arnaud