[OT] Boom boom sound

Bruce Murray bmurray at bbn.com
Thu Jan 4 15:12:54 GMT 2001

My dad many years ago showed me how to make excellent boom boom sounds.

It only works on carburetted cars so is really a bit off topic but fun anyway.

When cruising along, switch off the ignition, floor the gas pedal, and then
turn on the ignition and listen.

The unburnt gas sitting in the exhaust will ignite with a mighty explosion,
if done right (or wrongly) you can blow the exhaust apart. Ask me how I know!

I suppose with an EFI system you could provide an override current to the
injectors and vary its pulse length to achieve the desired acoustic effect.

Bruce Murray