MAF transfer curves

Will McGonegal McGonegal.Will at etc.ec.gc.ca
Thu Jan 4 17:46:12 GMT 2001

We have used Ford MAF sensors at our lab for various projects.  We calibrated
them against a Laminar Flow Element (that we paid lot's of money for, and
believe to be very accurate).  The voltage vs. flow output is not linear on the
Ford units we use.  Here is the curve fit for one of the units we calibrated:

Flow (scfm) = 0.6066 - 1.475v + 20.05v^2 - 5.9233v^3 + 1.3292v^4

We calibrate each MAF unit we use.  They have similar curves, but there is some
variability.

I have also heard that the GM units give a frequency output, not voltage.  I
don't recall if it is linear with flow.

Will McGonegal
Electrical Engineer/Dynamometer Developer
Emissions Research and Measurement Division
Environment Canada
Ottawa, Ontario