(Bit off topic) turbo lag...

Chris Wilson chris at formula3.freeserve.co.uk
Thu Jan 11 23:09:11 GMT 2001

>   I know it's a bit of topic and  I know it's been discussed many times
> before (read the archives!) but I would appreciate some advice.
>   I'm planing on turbocharging a Hillman Imp engine (a 930cc SOHC) with a T3
> Garrett, which is bit on the large side for the engine. An intercooler would
> also be used. The boost will be electronically controlled to slightly
> increase and flatten the torque curve. This is to keep the head gasket in
> one piece, allow a high static CR to be used and increase the toque at high
> rpm to make as much power as possible. I'm hoping to allow the engine to
> usefully rev to 8,500 rpm.
<snip>

My experiences with the Imp engine is the head gasket, even the Reinz
one, is marginal under N/A conditions, the ONLY way you'll keep the seal
is to use Wills rings and an outer water/oil sealing gasket. These are
still relatively easily sourced here in the UK.

--
Best regards,
 Chris Wilson                           mailto:chris at formula3.freeserve.co.uk
                                       http://www.formula3.freeserve.co.uk