best way to go on a honda powered mini?

Tom Parker tom at carrott.org
Mon Jan 15 11:54:09 GMT 2001

Ade + Lamb Chop <adrian.law at btinternet.com> wrote:

>I am in the process of putting a honda 1600cc DOHC 16v (ZC)
>engine in my rover mini. I have the manifolds etc but don't have the
>ECU.

>2) aftermarket ECU using the current manifolds.. is this possible?
>how much is it gonna cost?

A friend has done the 1600 VTEC swap to the mini, he uses a Link engine
management computer, you can see their sticker behind the manifolds:

http://www.carrott.org/mini/vtec.html

It took quite a while to find their page, you wouldn't believe the number of
"link"s on the net that aren't the link computer, but I found it.

It's made by AVO http://www.avoturbo.com who seem to be based in Aussie and
Japan. They have a drop in replacement for the honda ecu:

http://www.avoturbo.com/html/honda.html
http://www.avoturbo.com/scans/honda_visc/slide13.jpg
http://www.avoturbo.com/scans/electronics/slide2.jpg

Their site seems pritty basic, and I didn't see any prices, but I can ask
Patrick when I next get a chance how much his link costed and what was
involved in installing it.

Considering the mini is radically shorter than the original honda car, you are
going to have a quite different exhaust system, and different inlet before the
throttle body (Patrick has that big red thing and a K&N). Could the standard
Honda ECU adjust to these changes?

Tom Parker - tom at carrott.org
           - http://www.carrott.org