Whipper Snipper Project :)

Wes Branchflower hemi_265 at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 18 07:15:47 GMT 2001

I was toying round with a PC, and a 2stoke whipper snipper engine the other
day. I had a relay running from the PC LPT port. The engines points were
also connected to the PC. The relay powered a junkyard automotive coil,
which went via a HT lead to the spark plug.

So basically I was just putting a PC in the middle of the system, 'to see
what happened'.

The thing actually started :) But didn't like to run unless RPM was kept at
a certain critical value (because of the relay switcing speed)

I'm relatively inexperinced with electronics. I'm now wanting to use a
transistor to switch the current to the coil, instead of the slow relay.

I have a 2N3055 PNP transistor, which is rated at being able to switch
15AMPS.

Is this all I need to switch the coil? Is it that simple? Are there special
automotive grade transistors for this purpose?

Thankyou for your time and patience.