Decelleration Fuel Cut

Mike R Brown mike_brown at agilent.com
Mon Jan 22 15:11:03 GMT 2001

Ross Corrigan wrote:

> At 01:20 PM 1/20/01 , Tony Bryant wrote:>Hi List,
> > >            Under what condition is 'decceleration fuel cut' used?  Is fuel
> > >totally stopped to the engine?  How can you tell (via MAP, TPS, RPM
> > >whatever) if the engine is stealing torque(braking - absorbing power)
> >versus
> > >producing torque for either constant speed or acceleration?  Is cutting
> >fuel
> > >always appropriate during engine decelleration? (I'm guessing no, as you
> > >could be decelleration while going up a hill decelerating slower than
> > >gravity would accelerate you in the reverse direction so theres alway a
> >load
> > >on the engine!)
> > >

> >If you (or anyone else) are contemplating this on a race car - DONT! - its
> >lethel, and just asking for the rear end to step out when you aren't
> >expecting it.
> >
> >I have the dents to prove it.
>
> Uh, is this a reason for me not to install my recently acquired pro-flo
> 3500 EFI system on my sbc v8 280zx that I daily drive and take to
> roadrace/lapping days in the summer?

Ross,
   With the Edelbrock 3500 you need the TPS closed, above a certain RPM,
and above a certain load before it cuts off. Around 1600 rpm or so it
starts feeding fuel back in so the transistion from cutoff to runing is
smooth.  Never had a problem with it but also never roadraced my '34
coupe either.  You can always disable it if you want.

Mike