Custom MAF system: help w/ calculations

james.drysdale at utoronto.ca james.drysdale at utoronto.ca
Tue Jan 23 20:13:48 GMT 2001

I suppose this is a bit of introduction:

I'm a senior in mechnical engineering at the University of Toronto, and my
thesis involves the implementation of a fuel injection system for a 1-cylinder
engine that previously had a carburetor. I'm programming the microcontroller
and interfacing all the sensors.

My design will be implemented by U of T's SuperMileage vehicle, which is
entered in the SAE SuperMileage competition. For this competition, all teams
(throughout North America) are given a basic 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton engine
and must build the most efficient vehicle they can around it.

I'm implementing a MAF system on the vehicle, and would like to know if I can
tap into your expertise (or if you can point me in the right direction)
regarding the calculation of the pulse width of the fuel injector for a MAF
system. There's a lot of good info on the efi332 website, but it's a
speed/density system.

Thanks!

james