Custom MAF system: help w/ calculations

Shirley, Mark R MarkRShirley at eaton.com
Wed Jan 24 16:09:58 GMT 2001

VE is a percentage.  It's calculated on the cylinder volume as the divisor.
So,   amount of air inducted into cylinder / cylinder volume = VE%
Typical NA engines run 85-90% at peak torque/load.  Less than that at
lower loads and different rpms.  Also, highest VE conforms to the lowest
BSFC
values.
Most MAF cars I have seen the tables for, they still had VE tables to
compare to,
in case the MAF sensor readings go wonky.  Newer systems are starting to
model the
engine in software, calculating on the fly what the airflow is from sensor
data.
I saw a demonstration of this on a new controller from Econtrols in San
Antonio,
just before I left my former employer.  The difference between the two
engines
running characteristics was night and day.