Another injector question

Bruce Plecan nacelp at bright.net
Thu Jan 25 14:22:26 GMT 2001

OK, we got folks working on SAE cars, kewl.
Just what are you trying to do?.
Build, a MAF EFI?.
Might look first and see if you want to do software answers, or hardware.
Complex, answers, or easy?.
Tightly controlled feedback might make this real easy.

What are you locked into?.
Bruce

From: Steve Ruse
Subject: Re: Another injector question
Hi, my name is Steve Ruse, and I am much in the same position as James. I am
working on a fuel injection system for a Formula SAE car at LeTourneau
University. I have a lot to learn, and this list looks like a great place to
do that.
The engine is a 600cc four cyl from a Honda CBR. I also own a '94 Z28 and do
custom EEPROM tuning on it, that is basically where I "cut my teeth" on EFI.
I am interested in the answer to James's last question, and I have also have
some questions of my own.
First, what are some good sources for injectors? We have some for testing,
but I don't think they are the ones that we will want to use in the end.
What is the best way to test the flow rate of our injectors? Is there
something better than just timing how long it takes them to move a given
amount of fuel?
Also, how can we account for the open/close delays of our injectors? Could
that be accurately determined accurately by varying the duty cycle and
seeing how the flow rate changes from when the injectors are at 100% duty
cycle? Is there an easy way to keep our fuel pressure constant while
performing this test? We were just going to try using an automotive fuel
pressure regulator.
Thanks!
Steve Ruse

james.drysdale at utoronto.ca
Subject: Another injector question: flow rates
Thanks for the responses to my previous question! (Even the ones from those
guys at Queens :)
Here's another: What's the difference between static and dynamic flow rates
for
fuel injectors?
The spec sheet for my injectors lists both, but which should I use to
calculate
the pulse width? (I'm thinking dynamic, but what's the difference?)
Thanks again,
james
God help us. We're in the hands of engineers."
- from Jurassic Park