Another injector question

james.drysdale at utoronto.ca james.drysdale at utoronto.ca
Thu Jan 25 17:54:25 GMT 2001

I'm far from an expert on the subject, but I can tell you the choices I made
regarding my SAE SuperMileage EFI system:

> Right now, we are still debating MAP vs. MAF

I went with MAF because I was under the impression a MAF system had a lot more
'play' in it than a speed/density system. That is, a MAF system is more
adaptable to changes in your EFI hardware than a MAP system, the software
tables of which are generated for a certain throttle size, engine displacement,
etc. only.

Of course, a MAP system might be easier to implement and will probably give you
more reliable airflow data due, to the relatively long response time inherent
to MAFs.

Our smallish (42mm dia.) low-flow (3-250 kg/hr) MAF sensors were donated to us
by Siemens Automobiltechnik in Germany. They like to sponsor teams like ours
and have their stickers gratuitously plastered all over our vehicles.

> Right now I am leaning towards (mostly) software control, via either a
> 68 series Motorola processor or through a PC/parallel port.

I'm using a Motorola 68HC812A4 microcontroller on a board with 128 kb of
additional memory (which I need for the lookup tables). It's got over 40
digital I/O ports and 8 A/D channels, which are enough to handle all of the
sensors. There are inexpensive C compliers and freeware assemblers for this
processor, so programming it is relatively easy. I'm driving the injector with
a National Semiconductor LM1949 injector driver.

Sensor-wise, I'm using a shaft-mounted optical encoder to measure rpm (there
are cheaper ways to do this, but we had an encoder sitting around) and some
hall-effect sensors to determine crankshaft angle. Engine temp. is being
measured with a thermocouple, and I've also got a throttle-position sensor to
measure throttle angle and rate of change.

I'm not worried about controlling the spark timing...I've got enough on my
plate this year :) Next year's team can play with that.

james

"God help us. We're in the hands of engineers."
- from Jurassic Park