Another injector question

Walter Sherwin wsherwin at home.com
Sat Jan 27 01:11:56 GMT 2001

------=_NextPart_000_00BD_01C087C3.9BCC3DC0

Steve & James;

Here's a good primer for general injector tech pondering and background  =
http://www.supras.com/~riemer/sonictech/fuel_injectors/RCtech.html  .  =
You'll probably want to discuss your particular project injector needs =
directly with vendors such as RC, Kinsler, Linder, etc., or even an OE =
injector manufacturer if you can make inroads to same (Siemens, Bosch, =
Delphi - the institutional/educational nature of your projects should =
enable this).

Injector packaging, impedance, internal pintle mass, spray pattern, and =
dynamic response issues are very real concerns that should be =
contemplated upfront in your designs to ensure that your injectors are =
compatible with both your end goals and your underlying hardware =
constraints.

The "static" flow rate of an injector is nothing more than the flow rate =
per unit time of liquid fuel through an injector while the solenoid is =
held at 100% duty cycle (always on), while the pressure differential is =
fixed at a prescribed value.  Not very representative of the real world! =
 The "dynamic" flow rate of an injector is simply the net flow per unit =
time that results from operating the same injector through real world =
open/hold solenoid duty cycle schedules.  It physically takes time to =
open and close an injector, and the associated latent flow effects must =
be encompassed by your software in order to ensure proper step response =
of your EFI system.  The latent effects for a given injector family will =
vary in response to fuel pressure, gross commanded ECU pulsewidth, and =
prevailing system voltage.  Many OE EFI software packages include =
look-up tables that attempt to tailor ECU pulsewidths according to these =
these prevailing considerations.  Response data can either be gleaned =
from manufacturer's data sheets for a given injector, or, may be =
empirically derived from a well instrumented injector test bench.

While precisely instrumented injector benches offer the truest measure =
of an injector's characteristics, it is also possible to arrive at =
reasonable approximations of same via more common (cheaper) benches as =
would be found in local fuel injection & diesel repair shops.  Take a =
wander through your local yellow pages, and I'm sure you'll find a =
couple of shops that can oblige.

Have fun with your projects;
Walt.

  ----- Original Message -----=20