Maximum advance

skulte skulte at skulte.com
Wed Jul 11 01:03:54 GMT 2001

On Tue, 10 Jul 2001, Jurgen Hartwig wrote:
> Who has bought one of the Optrand in-cylinder pressure transducers?

As soon as I can find myself a good Data Aq. card, I'm going to get
one. I spoke to some of their engineers at SAE, and it seems pretty fail
safe. The problem is that I'm too cheap - the new motor will have AL
heads, not iron, so it'll use a different spark plug, and I'd rather not
burn up $200 for the next month.

> If you installed one, this would allow you to determine the correct ignition
> advance, correct?

Sure, among other things like fuel maps, and you could probably
analytically get rid of the small things like the minute tip-in stumble I
have,
etc...

> Optrand wants like $200 to install a sensor into a spark plug, and some
> extra dough for the interface.  I don't know the numbers off the top of my
> head.  Seems like it would be a good tool for setting up modified engines
> with different internals.

The module was $600, IIRC. If anyone has it, I'd love to hear feedback.

Andris
89 Z28tt
http://www.skulte.com/turbo.html