SDS EFI

Brian Michalk michalk at awpi.com
Sun Jun 17 16:38:31 GMT 2001

> > > What are referencing?
> >
> > If I could modify parameters on the fly, like ignition timing, then I
> would
> > not have to put in the external delay circuit.
>
> On the Autronic, you can modify the parameters on the fly.  You have
> excellent ignition control of each individual cylinder, as well as fine
> control of large injectors (you mentioned the desire to use one HUGE
> injector).  However, making an automatic system which adjusts timing to
> reflect your pressure readings would take a good bit more work.
>
> Jay

When I was referred to a backup injector, I meant that I wanted a completely
separate system.

I'll have a mechanical fuel pump, with the electrical pump as backup, so
tapping this redundant injector off the fuel rail shouldn't be a problem.
The worst that could happen is a fuel rail failure, like a fuel regulator
rupturing, or something like that.  This injector doesn't need to atomize
very well, I'm not concerned about efficiency, I just want to make enough
power to keep me in the air.  If you've ever seen a Continental state of the
art fuel injection system you would laugh and think it was a joke.  The
stream of fuel that comes out of the injector is about the diameter of a
pencil lead (.5mm).  There is no atomization at all, so the fuel gets mixed
by turbulent air.  I was thinking about something similar, or just plug the
end of a tube and drill an .050 hole in it and call it an injector.

The thing I don't know about is how to modulate that.  Could  I take a
regulator from something and plumb it to the intake manifold and somehow
modulate the pressure, or should I put together a needle valve and go
completely manual.  Either way, there's got to be some sort of manual
non-electrical way to turn on this injector.