SpeedPro Tuning

Jörgen Karlsson jorgen.m.karlsson at home.se
Wed Jun 20 01:16:42 GMT 2001

> Shall we even mention emissions?.

Sorry about that, I assume a performance vehicle, emission equipment is an
other ballgame. I don't think that the Speedpro is capable of controlling
most of that stuff. Not even the cat will work as it is ment to, it reqires
the rich/lean transitions during cruise. The speedpro has a stable AFR
during closed loop.

Other then that the warmup parameters will have to be adjusted when the
weather show that it is needed. Things like getting a stable idle when you
first put it into drive after a cold start has proven to be pretty hard on
some cars. Very hard on the syclone, it had to sit for at least six hours
between tests. One test per six hours is a bit time consuming.

The syclone a truck that has run 11.7 at 130 and get 30mpg on the highway. The
stroker engine that has replaced the old 4.3 is not tuned properly below
atmosphere pressure. The cam is very different from the one that was used
earlier. The speedpro hit the maximum correction of -20% at low rpm and +10%
at high rpm. Two passes in second gear and three corrections, then the
battery on the laptop went dead. Then we forgot about it and we only did
high power tuning after that. Still 30mpg, that is a little better then
stock, even if the truck has at least 400hp more then stock. The fun thing
is that that program would probably enhance the performance and economy of a
bone stock syclone or typhoon too, maybe even your GN? Many people would be
satisfied with that combination of performance and economy, but not you,
right? By the way, it passed emmisions with this program in it, very
strange... Could full time closed loop really work?

But of course, I'll say: At least one year, we have to do proper testing
under all weather conditions. We will also have to find a very high mountain
and all different fuel types used in the world. Then we have to run the
engine until it is close to the end of its service life and check the tuning
then. Then we use the least optimal tuning that we have used during all this
time and lock that in the ecu and froget the access code.

Yeah, I know, you meant to delete this offline...

Jörgen,
Back in reality.