SpeedPro Tuning

Andris Skulte skulte at skulte.com
Thu Jun 21 03:00:43 GMT 2001

> A few of my friends work at the engine lab at volvo, they find it very
> amusing to spend hours listening to knock and checking in
> cylinder pressure
> plots.

Have any of you ever used the Optrand PSI-plug pressure transducers
(http://www.optrand.com)? They take your spark plug, EDM a small passage and
add a  fitting for the optical sensor. The transducers have ranges from
0-70, 100, or 200 bar, and are linear for a 50kHz response with a 0.5 to 5V
output. The price is still expensive for DIY'ers, but not unobtainable like
Kistler's. Optrand charges $200us for the plug machining, and $600ish for
the conditioning module/fiber/sensor. I'd like to get a PCMCIA data
acquisition card for some testing (basic pressures and temperatures, I
figure an 8 channel 12 bit 100k would fit the bill). Are there any
recommendations? I'm not super familiar with this, as I've just used the
generic setups in the school control systems lab a few years ago.