Winter gas vs summer gas and Intro

Ron Schroeder rjs at bnl.gov
Thu Mar 8 15:25:39 GMT 2001

At 06:25 AM 3/8/01 -0800, you wrote:
>I have to re-jet my pickup every time they change gas here in Oregon. This
>year wasn't as bad as the last ones though.
>Eric
>

>> Has anyone here experienced problems with "winter" gas?
>> Especially the
>> oxygenated, reformulated, winter gas sold in California in (I think)
>> November, December, and January?

Hi,

I am Ron Schroeder.  Electronics nut for a real job, Car nut for hobby.  I
have a 1973 Pinzgauer, a military vehicle from the Swiss Army, made in
Austria.  It's engine is a 2.5L 4 cyl inline air cooled engine with 2 Solex
36 NDIX racing carbs and headers.  I am getting tired of syncronizing the
carbs and cold start problems so I would like to fuel inject it.  I am
thinking of a single GM TBI for a start.  Since this engine is so different
from any factory GM aplication, I don't know what to do about the fuel
mapping and how to simulate the coolant temp sensor (no coolant in an air
cooled engine).  I would like to reduce the emissions and improve the
smoothness more than increase power.  Better fuel economy wouldn't hurt
either.  It puts out 90HP at 4000 rpm and about 125lb/ft of torque at 2000
rpm.  It needs the low rpm torque peak due to the wide ratio transmission.

Eric, did you re-jet leaner or richer?

When I worked at a Ford dealership I found a very common complaint was poor
running with the oxygenated winter fuel mostly with the MBTE formula rather
than the ethanol or methanol addative formula.

Ron Schroeder
WD8CDH
E. E. S.
wd8cdh at bnl.gov