fuel rail

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Sat Mar 10 04:06:02 GMT 2001

Pat Ford tapped away at the keyboard with:

> Previously, you (Tony Bryant) wrote:
> { >i'm going to be making a custom fuel rail for my 16v vw out of billet
> { >aluminum.
> { >What is the appropriate internal volume of a fuel rail? is there a basic
> { >guidline based on injector size, fuel pressure, max rpm, etc.?
> { >
> {
> {
> { Big as practical. The only disadvantage in going "too big" is weight.

>  and the fuel sits around soaking up heat

There will be more fuel available to soak up the heat. And a larger
surface area will absorb more heat.

However, most fuel rails I've seen (all Bosch-based) are set up to
flush through their entire length, with feed on one end and the
pressure regulator that dumps the return flow, at the other.

The long fuel lines and the tank (as well as the fuel in it) act as
a heat sink.

[BTW: Am I the only one now getting 2 to 4 copies of every article
_and_ digest?]

--
 /"\  Bernd Felsche - Innovative Reckoning, Perth, Western Australia
 \ /      ASCII ribbon campaign | I'm a .signature virus!       |