Problem: Lucas P EFI on Jag V12

Morten T Nielsen mortentn at mailme.dk
Sat Mar 10 17:41:46 GMT 2001

Hi

We have a Jaguar XJ12 with Lucas P EFI on a HE engine. It's a 82'. The whole car has just been restored and the engine ran fine at first startup. But at first the fuel pump didn't start when ignition was on - that was soon fixed (some homemade crap was interfering with the signal). But we had to move around on a lot of wires and test a lot of devices...and now the damn thing won't start. We have both a Haynes and an original workshop manual used by Jaguar and we have performed all test that can be performed in those books - they all turned out fine. We have measured the pulses generated by the ECU to fire the injectors  - and it seems as if there are no pulse if the gas pedal isn't pressed. If we press the pedal we get a signal from the ECU and the engine even rumbles a bit. All timing is straight and we get spark at the plugs...
We are now running on our 2. ECU which cost us £400 - and still nothing has changed!

Does anyone here know anything about the system... We're just DIY mechanics and aren't into the EFI stuff.

Thanks Alot!!

Morten Nielsen