"Leaf Blower" Forced induction idea

ECMnut at aol.com ECMnut at aol.com
Fri Mar 16 15:08:17 GMT 2001

>  >What do you think of a 'leaf blower' used to force air into an engine?
>  >Has anyone tried this before? Some of these things can blow a LOT of
air...
>  >they can also be run independanly from engine speed/exhaust
>
>  They won't provide enough air.  There's a good reason why a '400 HP'
>  supercharged engine might only produce 320 HP at the flywheel!  Lots of
>  folks come up with 'electric superchargers' and shit but have no idea just
>  what sort of power it takes to compress that much air that quickly.

Actually, it does help in small engine applications.
A kid name Jason at my local track had a totally stock honda Accord
with a crude leaf blower setup. Not as good as NOS, but good.
He went from mid 17 sec 1/4 mile times to mid 16's.
These were HIS claims, but hey, an Iceman intake supposedly
gets you a thenth of a second, so, why would he be wrong?
The little bit of flow increase netted approx one second.
Granted, it prolly went from 120hp to 150, which is
not in nitrous territory, but it did improve.
He rigged a thottle so that the blower would fast idle
when the engine idled, because his car would surge & stall
if the blower was screaming at a closed buuterfly.  Pobably
IAC related.  He said it wasn't consistent, because the
leaf blower was mounted in such a way, that he had to open
the hood to start it, and if it stalled, he was "blowerless"
I'll get some digital pics this year if he still runs it.
He is always driving something "fangled" out there..
 Mike V