OBDII and the Ferrari 360M

Anthony Sarkis anthony.sarkis at bigpond.com
Mon Mar 19 03:47:24 GMT 2001

I have decided to build my own software, as what is out in the market may be
adequate to get the
standard ISO 9141-2 messages from the car, but since there is more info
available from the proprietary
messages, I want to be able to expand on the information gathered by the
software. Commercial products
can't offer me the ability for custom message retrieval and display.

Can anyone help with the generic messages data codes needed or are there any
documents available on the net (I have checked
and have come up zippo so far) on the "opcode" that needs to be sent to get
a certain parameter returned?
eg: if I send and 01 (code for OBDII diagnostics), and then 0C (specifies
RPM), then RPM data is returned.

Is there a list of the codes available for other types of generic diagnostic
parameters available?

Also packet format info would help? I have info on message retrieval, but is
there other message formats? eg: 01 is
for OBDII diagnostics.

Also, how is the CRC calculated for the ISO 9141-2 message? is there info on
what type is used?

Is it worth getting an ISO 9141-2 interface hardware that wraps my messages
with the ISO 9141-2 protocol,
or should I do it all in software, and just buid the IOS 9141-2 cable to
RS-232 (level shifting only), or get the
ISO 9141-2 decoder chip?

I know there are a lot of questions above, I just hope someone can point me
in the right direction.
I am hoping to make this open source, and I nearly have all of the pieces,
just a few holes left to plug up :)

Regards, Anthony