K Jetronic questions

Brian Michalk michalk at awpi.com
Wed Mar 21 02:58:07 GMT 2001

Hi. I am new to this list, but have known about the DIY-EFI list for years.

I am working on a 350cid slow turning engine that I am trying to make
ultra-reliable.  I knew I wanted a high pressure fuel injection system, and
the Bosch KE-Jetronic fit most of my requirements.
1) requires no electrics to run
2) High fuel pressure and excellent atomization.

I have not yet started my engine.  I think I'm a few months away, but a
friend of mine just put his engine on a dyno and was very disappointed with
the results.  It appears as though a high overlap cam, together with that
barn door AFS is too much of a restriction for the motor.

I'm now re-thinking my strategy.  I want to use the system, but throw away
the AFS.  My thought is to use a lead screw assembly on the fuel distributor
for actuating the plunger.  The lead screw will be actuated from the
throttle body shaft.  A 1" lead screw will travel .25 inches in 90 degrees
of rotation.  Or at least it is close.  The throttle body doesn't quite turn
90 degrees, and the plunger travel in the AFS is .21 inches.

I plan on setting up the AFS to make the engine run reliably in the event of
power failure.  But I also want to make it run efficiently, so I want to use
the hot wire MAF, throttle position, and MAP data to fine tune the mixture
via the mixture control built into the fuel distributor.

Some questions:
1) On the distributor:  Is the fuel flow linear to plunger travel?
2) On the distributor, KE pressure actuator:  Can I adjust lean or rich
using a bipolar (+/-) actuating signal?
3) On the distributor, KE pressure actuator:  How much will I be able to
affect the fuel flow?
4) MAF: Where is the best place to buy one?
5) MAF: Is the output signal linear (they have PWM freq, and analog out) to
mass air flow?
6) MAF: Do I really need the self cleaning module?  What are the
requirements of that module?
7) distributor:  How much force is required to move the plunger when it is
pumped up to its normal 80 psi?

 Brian Michalk  <http://www.awpi.com/michalk>
musician, home-brewer, entrepreneur and SINGLE!