98 Dodge Dakota PCM Hack?

Bob Tom tigers at bserv.com
Thu Mar 22 16:38:00 GMT 2001

At 08:32 AM 3/22/01 -0700, you wrote:
>Yeah--but do they work ??  Lyndon.

Lyndon

I do not have firsthand knowledge of the Hypertech for the '97 Dak
but the fellow that I bought the '97 MP PCM CA version (Fed.
version did pass EPA) from tried both the '97 MP PCM and
Hypertech and chose to keep the Hypertech.  He no longer
races but said the Hypertech felt a lot stronger than the MP.

I run the '96 MP PCM in my '97 at track so, while it has reduced my
ETs by 8/10s over the stock computer, my dash gauges will
not function with the '96 MP PCM (major wiring revision between
the '96 and '97 Dakotas).

The best that I can run with the '97 MP PCM is 15.5x.  I recorded
outputs on my scanner with the '97 MP PCM and, in addition to
having less timing advance across the rpm range under WOT
than the '96 MP PCM, the '97 MP PCM really retards the timing
at the shifts (from about 27 degrees to about 7 degrees).

Bob Tom       Burlington, Ont., Canada
'97 CC Dakota, 5.2L, 4x2, auto., 3.92SG, 4,265 lb (racing weight)
Dyno:   231.2 rwhp                340.0 lb-ft rwtorque
PB:      14.737 @ 91.75         9.364 @ 72.95