after market airflow meters

Tlsalt at aol.com Tlsalt at aol.com
Thu Mar 22 17:38:54 GMT 2001

Ron Schroeder wrote:

The maximum (in a perfect world) HP improvement from reducing restriction
can be calculated aproximatly by multiplying the the WOT vacuum in inches
by 3 for the percentage of HP increase possable.  e.g stock vac of 1 inch
at WOT would only allow an increase of about 3% IF the aftermarket device
had NO restriction.  This would be the same with low restriction filters
too.  Ain't marketing great.

Hello Ron,

    Interesting formula, could you please tell me where it came from ?  I was
just looking at a few datalogs and (assuming this formula applies at peak hp
rpm, WOT) I get an average reading of 1.6 inHg.  This would imply that the
most to be gained with a different intake would be around 4.8%.  This engine
has a 70mm throttle on a plenum with 2 feet of 3 inch tubing to a filter.
Does this imply that multiple throttle bodies with much larger area and
velocity stacks would only gain 5% hp ?

Paul Saltwick