Intro and questions

Ron Schroeder rjs at bnl.gov
Thu Mar 22 20:41:28 GMT 2001

Hi,

I am Ron Schroeder.  I have been lurking here for a couple of weeks and am
a newbee to the GM EFI.  I have been a car nut, SCUBA nut and certified
computer nerd (or at least my wife says so) for many years.  I have a lot
of experience with instrumentation and analog/digital design.  Most of my
fuel injection experience has been with diesels.

My current project is to replace the dual 2 barrel Zenith NDIX 36 carbs on
my 4X4 truck with EFI.  The engine is a 2.5L inline AIR-COOLED 4 cyl.  It
puts out 87HP at 4000rpm and 130lb/ft of torque at 2000rpm and has a
4500rpm redline.  I don't need to increase the HP but I want to improve the
fuel economy, idle, cold start and pollution from the engine.  The cruise
rpm is 3500 to 4200 due to the geared hubs.  I won't complain if the HP is
improved.  I have oil temp, CHT, EGT, VSS, rpm and will be adding O2
sensors.  This engine line was NEVER available with fuel injection.

My questions are:

What would be a good ECU to start with?

Would port fuel injection be enough better than TBI to bother with?

Does the ECU LEARN the engine or will I have to develop maps first?

How different would the maps be from a GM 2.5L (S-10??) 4 cyl engine?
(anybody out there put a GM EFI on an air-cooled VW???)  The cam is 220deg
durration and 8 degree overlap at 1mm clearance.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Ron Schroeder
WD8CDH
E. E. S.